I love April Fool’s Day! I love thinking of new pranks to pull on our kids! I love that my kids get excited in anticipation for April Fool’s Day every year. It’s so fun!! So, I wanted to compile a list of some of the BEST idea’s I’ve found! (Plus share some of the prank’s I’ve pulled in the past!
1. Last year, my now 7 year old was so mad at me for the prank I pulled! Maybe because he was the only one I could get the prank to work on. In the middle of the night, I snuck into his room and painted a mustache on him with some of my liquid eyeliner. It was too funny, though. I laughed all day at the surprised look on his face when he woke up!
2. Another prank I pulled was putting a drop of food coloring inside the bristles of each of my kid’s toothbrushes. The drops were so little, they didn’t even realize until they had been brushing their teeth that I had pranked them.
3. A couple of years ago, I had an all out April Fools Dinner! I told the kids that we were having cupcakes for dinner! What they didn’t realize was that the cupcakes were made from meatloaf and topped with colored mashed potatoes! I even served them with a jello drink! I think maybe the drink was their favorite part. (Pardon the terrible picture. It was in my pre-blogging days!)
Here’s some more ideas if you’re like me and in search of this years big prank!
4. Add some food coloring to the bottom of the cereal bowl before you pour cereal and milk. The milk will change color as they eat it!
5. Superglue coins to the ground outside.
6. Bake a batch of cookies but replace the sugar with salt. (I think I would definitely make a good batch and a bad!!)
7. Set several alarm clocks early and at different times. Then, hide them in your child’s room. (In my house, I’m definitely waiting until my kids are teenagers for this one!)
8. Stuff tissue in the toe of someone’s shoe.
9. Turn everything that you can upside down. Pictures, furniture, etc.
10. Add food coloring to water and serve it with dinner. Everyone will think it’s juice!
11. You need a partner in crime for this one. Tell your kids that they can have dessert if they clean their room. When they come to tell you it’s clean, have someone sneak in to hurry and mess it back up. When you go check, your child will be surprised that it is messy again.
12. This is a great one to pull off WITH the kids: Make a sign to stick on the back of dad’s car saying “My family is playing an April Fools joke on me! Honk if you think it’s funny!”
13. The night before, pour cereal in a bowl and about half the milk. The next morning, take them out of the freezer and pour a little bit of fresh milk on top. Your kids will be surprised that the cereal is actually stuck in the frozen milk!
14. I cannot get over how funny this “Chicken Pot Pie” dessert is! Click the photo for the recipe and directions!
15. Paint clear finger nail polish over a dry bar of soap. Swap it for the one in the shower. It will drive your kids crazy trying to get it to lather!
16. We did this in college. If you have 2 bedrooms right across the door from each other, tie them together with some rope (we actually used pany hose!). You need to leave just enough slack so that one of the doors can open a crack.
17. Put a few drops of food coloring in the bottom of a cup before pouring the milk or water.
18. You have to have very sound sleepers for this one. And probably not bunk beds. That would be hard. While the kids are sleeping, switch them into each others beds.
19. Swap the stuff in your kids back packs. Just make sure you have them “check” to make sure they have their homework before sending them so they don’t get to class without something they really need.
20. Put some orajel on your kids toothbrushes. They’ll be surprised when their mouths turn numb while brushing their teeth!
21. Carefully open and empty a couple of snack size bags of chips. Make sure they’re different kinds. Swap the chips and glue the opening shut. They might thing they’re getting Doritos, but the bag really has Cheetos!
22. I think these silly cupcakes from Our Best Bites are so stinkin cute!! What a fun “prank!” Click on the photo for the instructions.
23. Buy one of those realistic looking bugs and put it in the cereal box. When your kids pour their morning cereal, it will show up in one of their bowls. Yuck!
24. Put a coat of vaseline on your child’s door knob. It’ll be slippery and hard to open the next morning!
25. Put a piece of saran wrap underneath the lid of your child’s shampoo. When they go to wash their hair, nothing will come out!!
I hope I’ve given you some fun inspiration for this silly holiday!