Library Book Tote

Summer is finally here!  One thing that I want to do this summer is to keep my kids reading.  So, the on last day of school, I picked them up and we headed straight to the library.  They really love it there, so I think we’re off to a good start.  We plan on signing up for the summer reading program as soon as it starts.  After the first library trip, I knew that were definitely going to need a proper bag to tote all of these library books back and forth.

library book tote

I used my Silhouette to put this together. Here’s what you need to make your own:
library tote supplies

I got a large empty tote at Joann’s for $5 or so. I also used the black flocked heat transfer from Silhouette, some fabric scraps that I had on hand and the clean cut fabric interfacing.

I started by cutting the wording out of the heat transfer. The font I used was My Own Topher (you can download it for free here).
DSC_0031
Next I ironed on the wording.
DSC_0036
I like big books

I liked it, but I knew it needed some more embellishing. So I grabbed some fabric scraps and cut some flowers out.
DSC_0033
DSC_0034

For the flowers, I used shape 3d_ruffle_flower_C02598_1. The leaves were taken from shape 3d_flower_C01680_20509.

The easiest way I found to get the flowers on was to use good old fashioned hot glue.
DSC_0041
library book tote

Now we’re all ready to spend lots of time at the library this summer!

book tote

Comments

1. says

Very cool! I love the layered flowers. I’ve never heard of Silhouette before.. is it like the cricut machine? I’ve been debating getting something like that for a while now and I just can’t decide! I should totally look into that brand and see what they have to offer :)

2. says

LOL! I am loving your bag! Great idea! Just dropping in from the May Day Hop and would love to invite you to share this at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop. So hoping to see you there!
    PS I am now following you.

3. says

Oh my stars….how adorably cute is this? I’m thrilled that you linked this up at Mop It Up Mondays. My good friend is a librarian and will flip when I show this to her. Featuring this on my FB fan page.

{HUGS},
    kristi

4. says

I still giggle when I see what you wrote on your bag:) I do love it! And the I love the part where you say “I just cut some flowers out”, beautiful perfect little flowers that just finished off the bag. Your kiddo are lucky:) Thank you so ever much for sharing this at Freedom Fridays! Have a super great week!!

5. says

That turned out great! I miss the good ‘ol days of stocking up on books at the library. I may have to bust out my library card again :)

6. says

Do you have any plans on selling these on etsy, ebay, or on your blog?
    I’m a teacher and I would love one of these! New follower :)
    Maribel

7. says

I found you through C.R.A.F.T. and just had to stop by and tell you how cute this tote is. Adorable! I’m your latest follower and I am totally pinning this!

8. says

The saying on your bag is so funny!! I literally laughed out loud when I saw it and had to click over and see it. Your flowers are so cute too. Love it!

Erin
    takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com

9. says

So funny! Love the flowers you added too. Such a great way to get your kids engaged in ready. If you’re looking for another place to share your creative projects, head on over to Etcetorize . Hope to see you there!

10. says

I had a good chuckle to myself when I saw the photo. Love it! I wish the school that my son will be attending next year would allow personalised library bags. I would make one in a heart beat!

11. says

Such a beautiful bag!!!! I would love to have one :)

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality! I can’t wait to see what you link up this evening!

12. says

Love this! I am definitely going to have to try this. My daughter would love to make one too, she is a very crafty 17 yr. old. Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday last week. I couldn’t do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

13. says

That’s too funny! {PS Thanks a lot for getting that song stuck in my head…yikes!} I love this bag! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays.